We know from our own pregnancies, and from supporting our own maternity patients, how challenging sleep can be in pregnancy!
Some of our top sleep tips include:
- Create a simple but relaxing bedtime routine; this can include taking a warm bath, doing a guided meditation, reading a book, journaling, etc.
- Keep a regular sleep schedule
- Exercise regularly, preferably at least 4-5 hours before bedtime
- Avoid caffeine after lunch
- Do not go to bed hungry, a bedtime snack can be part of your routine
- Make the bedroom environment conducive to sleep and reserve the bedroom for the 3 S’s: Sleep, Sex and when you’re Sick
- Avoid prolonged use of light-emitting screens (TV, phone, tablet) leading up to bedtime
- Deal with your worries before bedtime; sometimes keeping a ‘worry journal’ by your bed can be helpful, if a worry pops into your head, jot it down to get it out of your head and onto paper; if it pops back into your head remind yourself you’ve...