Supporting Sleep in Pregnancy
Mar 24, 2021
We know from our own pregnancies, and from supporting our own maternity patients, how challenging sleep can be in pregnancy!
Some of our top sleep tips include:
- Create a simple but relaxing bedtime routine; this can include taking a warm bath, doing a guided meditation, reading a book, journaling, etc.
- Keep a regular sleep schedule
- Exercise regularly, preferably at least 4-5 hours before bedtime
- Avoid caffeine after lunch
- Do not go to bed hungry, a bedtime snack can be part of your routine
- Make the bedroom environment conducive to sleep and reserve the bedroom for the 3 S’s: Sleep, Sex and when you’re Sick
- Avoid prolonged use of light-emitting screens (TV, phone, tablet) leading up to bedtime
- Deal with your worries before bedtime; sometimes keeping a ‘worry journal’ by your bed can be helpful, if a worry pops into your head, jot it down to get it out of your head and onto paper; if it pops back into your head remind yourself you’ve got it written down and you’ll deal with it tomorrow
- Use a body pillow to help support your legs and hips; as your pregnant belly grows it can be more difficult to find a comfortable position and this can help
And did you know that acupuncture can support your sleep in pregnancy?
Listen to our podcast with Stefanie Miska from Focus Health where we talk about what acupuncture and Chinese medicine techniques can help improve your sleep!